Skip to content Skip to navigation

How to Declare

Doug McAdam and student

If you are considering the Urban Studies major or minor, we invite you to come in and discuss the possibility as early as possible. 


Meeting with a faculty advisor can help you understand your options, and can alert you to opportunities such as upcoming events and course offerings. 

Remember, the earlier you declare, the MORE options you have to

  • Participate in the life of the Urban Studies community;
  • Take the courses you really want;
  • Study abroad, at Stanford in New York, or Stanford in Washington;
  • Take time off or graduate early;
  • Complete a minor, second major, or co-term.

Email list

To be placed on an email list of students considering the Urban Studies major, please contact the Student Services Officer.

Steps to declaring

If you’ve made the decision to declare Urban Studies, congratulations!  Please follow these four steps:

  1. Declare on AxessPlease note that this declaration must be approved by the Urban Studies Program Staff, and can only be approved AFTER the remaining steps are completed.
  2. Make an appointment to meet with the Urban Studies Co-Director. They can help you select a faculty advisor, and get started on the appropriate paperwork:
  3. Make an appointment to meet with your advisor.  Bring the appropriate declaration form to be signed.  Once the form is signed, allow three to four weeks before the declaration is appproved on Axess.
  4. Fill out our web profile survey, so that we can feature you on our bulletin board and web page.  Welcome to Urban Studies!