Skip to content
Skip to navigation
Urban Studies Commencement FAQ
- Where is the ceremony? The graduation ceremony and reception for the Department of Sociology and Program on Urban Studies will be held in East Oval Grove (to reach the East Oval Grove, head out of Building 120 toward the Oval, cross Serra Mall and go down the small hill keeping the Oval on your left. The Grove is between the Oval and Lathrop Library.) For specifics on the main ceremony and University-wide events throughout graduation weekend, please refer to the commencement website, or call the Information Line at (650) 725-1957.
- When is the ceremony? Immediately following the main University ceremony. The buffet lunch will begin at approximately 11:30, and the ceremony at 12:15. It should end by 1:30.
- What should I / my guests wear? Dress for warm weather. Please note that this is an outdoor event; there will be a canopy and some shade, but it will not be climate-controlled. The ground is unpaved so keep this in mind as you choose your footwear.
- How do I order my cap and gown? You can order a cap and gown through the commencement website. The deadline is usually the end of April.
- I am not officially graduating but I want to walk with my class at the ceremony - what do I need to do? Complete this form (pdf) and bring it to the Urban Studies office as soon as possible! We would like these forms by May 13th (if we do not receive your form by June 1st, your name may not be called at the department ceremony).
- I am a coterm student who is graduating with both my undergraduate and graduate degrees in the same quarter. Which department ceremony should I attend and how do I get both diplomas? It's up to you which ceremony you attend. However, bear in mind that if your bachelor’s and graduate degrees are in different departments, you will only be able to get one diploma at the ceremony you attend. You will have to arrange for the other one to be picked up or mailed to you. If you graduate with your undergraduate degree in one year and then your graduate degree the following year, you are welcome to attend both ceremonies in the different years.
- Is there a graduation rehearsal? No, there is no rehearsal for the graduation ceremony. Your name will be taped on your chair on the day of commencement with instructions for walking/receiving your diploma.
- Will there be refreshments? There will be a reception with hors d’oeuvres, dessert and beverages preceding the diploma award ceremony for you and your guests. Please note that this is a light reception, not a full meal, as many participants and their guests have dinner immediately following this event.
- Do I need tickets for the Urban Studies departmental graduation ceremony? You do not need tickets for the departmental ceremony, and there is no limit to the number of guests you can invite. Seating is first come first served, and we always have plenty of seats.